Third Party Service Providers and Payment with PO Funding

Note: The following information is for the 2018/19 school year.  It will be helpful once you’ve had a curriculum consult with your Home Learning Support Teacher (HLST) and as of May 1 when your 2018/19 funding is available.  

Third Party Service Providers provide lessons in subject areas such as Fine Arts and PE (for example, private piano lessons.) The Ministry of Education requires that all Third Party Service Providers paid with ministry funds (PO money) have a criminal record check (CRC) on file with RCOA, which must be updated every 5 years. Many of our regular service providers completed their last CRC in 2013, which means that as of July, those CRCs will need to be updated before your children continue services with them.  

In compliance with Ministry of Education regulations, we are not able to pay a 3rd Party Service Provider until after the CRC is up-to-date.  We are not able to backdate payments. If you start lessons or classes prior to that approval, you will be responsible to cover the cost of those lessons or classes.
What does this mean?

If you would like to use your PO funding for third party services in the new school year (2018/19), RCOA may need to wait for an updated CRC, which means it could take extra time for approval and PO funds to be released. As a parent, your part in this process is to ensure that you submit third party requests (as you normally would through OTIS forms) with enough time to allow CRCs to be completed. RCOA’s office will contact service providers if their CRC needs to be completed or updated. If you have questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact your Home Learning Support Teacher (HLST).