Did you know home learners can visit the Royal BC Museum in Victoria Tuesdays through Sundays from the day after Labour Day to June 30th for free? Mainlanders! Ask your teacher for a ferry letter so that you can take advantage of half-price passenger fares on BC ferries when traveling for educational purposes!
The museum offers home learners ages (ages 6 to 19) an unlimited number of free visits to all permanent exhibitions and galleries throughout the school year.
Free Museum Visit Guidelines:
- Children must be of student age (6 to 19 years, younger children are free regardless)
- One free adult chaperone per family. Other adults from the same family must pay the regular admission fee. If you are going with a larger group, you must have a minimum chaperone ratio of 1 adult for every 5 students (ages 5 through 13).
- Reserve your tickets with Group Bookings a minimum of 2 days in advance (a week is best if there is a special exhibit).
- For special exhibits with extra admission fees, there may be an additional fee per student; however, the designated adult chaperone still receives free entry.
- IMAX is not included in the free admission to the museum.
Book your visit to the Royal BC Museum by phone (250 387 4007) or by email RBCM_groups@royalbcmuseum.bc.ca using the following subject line: “DateofVisit” – Homeschooler: “Your Last Name”. Please include the following information in the body of your email:
- “Self-directed museum tour by a homeschooling family”
- Date of visit
- Time of entry to the museum
- Special exhibit/IMAX bookings*
- First and last names of the adult chaperone (or “teacher”)
- Contact phone number
- Email address
- Total number of students ages 6 to 19** (children 5 and under are already free)
- Total number of adults and/or seniors (including the designated chaperone)
*You can request the museum invoices the school for these, but approval must be acquired through an OTIS Field trip form first.
**The school can only pay for one adult chaperone for IMAX & up to 5 students within the same family that are enrolled with the school.
You will receive an email confirmation with a booking number, which you’ll need to take with you to the ticket counter on the day of your visit. You can make changes to your booking at that time, if necessary.
If you’d like to clarify any of the above information, please give the Museum a call at 250-387-4007.